Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Pursuing A Passion

Hi everyone!  I've created this blog to pass on the knowledge that I've learned and will continue to learn about the Paleo lifestyle.  For those of you who know me, you know that I grew up eating, sleeping, and breathing soccer.  Well, I haven't been passionate about anything since then until I discovered PALEO!  I joined Crossfit New England (2011 Crossfit Affiliate Champions!) in July 2009 and after a month or so I remember looking at some true fire-breathers like Derek Mohamad, Ben and Heather Bergeron, and Billy Nelson and thinking to myself, "why can't I get ripped like that?  Why do they have a six pack and I have.... a pack"?  So, I approached Obi One himself and asked, "Ben, how do I get a body like you guys?  I want to get ripped and look like the actors in the movie 300."  That's when the five letter word came out of Ben's voice P-A-L-E-O.  He explained to me the "caveman" diet and how we, as humans, should be eating like our ancestors did in the Paleolithic Times.

So I went home and began researching the Paleo Diet and looked at the acceptable foods of this diet.  I remember thinking to myself, no F'n way can I NOT have breads, pasta, beans, rice, potatoes, dairy, granola bars, CEREAL...anything processed!!  I though to myself, how is this possible?  Is this a sick joke?  Nope.  This is real and it works.  When making a life changing decision such as one's diet, small steps should be taken so one doesn't fall HARD.  I immediately eliminated bread, pasta, and rice, but I continued consuming whole cream for my coffee, milk for my cereal, and I just couldn't kick those so called "healthy" processed granola bars!  I continued with this half-ass paleo diet for a few months and although I noticed some changes in my crossfit performance, I still wasn't anywhere near the other fire-breathers in the box and I still didn't have the phsyic that I wanted, so I took it to the next level and eliminated even more crap from my diet.  From December 2009 to December 2011 I stuck with a 85% to  15% paleo diet.  Basically, the only non-paleo foods that I consumed on a daily basis were whole whipping cream for my coffee, Trader Joe's chocolate covered almonds (soooo good), and a handful or two of peanut m&m's.  After a few months of cleaning up my diet I observed significant increases in my CF performance, but more importantly my body never felt cleaner!  I was sold on paleo.  On January 1, 2012 I entered a paleo challenge and committed myself to eating 100% paleo for 30 days.  So far I'm on day 25 of 100% paleo and I feel AWESOME!  On January 1st I weighed 171.6 lbs with 11.79% body fat.  My goal after the 30 days are over, is to keep my weight around 170 lbs and to lower my body fat percentage under 10%.....I'll keep you all informed.

I wrote a lot more for my first post than I anticipated, but like I mentioned in the beginning, I am truly passionate about eating paleo and I want to spread the word to EVERYONE.  Future posts will include how to eat paleo as a family (because Michelle and I have incorporated paleo to CJ and Gaby and so far, so good), recipes, snacks, how to shop and save money, sleep, and exercising.  Here are some informative books I've read that I think everyone should read; The Paleo Solution for The Original Human Diet by Robb Wolf, The Paleo Diet for Athletes by Dr. Loren Cordain,  The Paleo Diet by Dr. Loren Cordain, and Everyday Paleo by Sarah Fragoso.

FYI - I was never strong in writing and I some how passed English at Boston College, so I apologize for any grammatical errors, but it doesn't get any better than this!  Wishing everyone a great & healthy day.

Christian

No comments:

Post a Comment