Thursday, January 24, 2013

Paleo Crock Pot Meatballs

For us New Englanders we absolutely LOVE our crock pots!  There is nothing better than putting food inside the crock pot for 6-8 hours and then coming back to a delicious hot meal.  Yes, my crock pot and I are bff (is that how kids say that??) and this morning I decided to make some paleo meatballs!!

I always give credit and site where I got my information from because.. it's the right thing to do.  Now, when I was in high school..... lets just say, I thought differently.  So, for anyone who has researched paleo meals online probably has run into the Everydaypaleo.com site.  If you haven't, well, I highly recommend checking it out!  Sarah Fragoso is the founder of Everyday Paleo and she has written three books (one for kids and paleo) and provides great information on paleo and tons of recipes!!  So, guess where I got my recipe from....you guys are wicked smaaat!

The basis of my recipe comes from Everyday Paleo but I tweaked it a bit by removing some things and adding others.   Here’s the recipe:

Mix together (use your hands)
2lbs grass fed ground beef
chopped cilantro (1oz), onions (1 yellow), and carrots (2 lg. organic)
3 eggs (cage free)
1/2 cup almond meal
lots of dried oregano, garlic powder, cracked black pepper, and a little cayenne 
Form into large meatballs and cover bottom of crock pot, you might have to stack them depending on the size of your crock pot.
For the sauce mix:
1 16 oz can of diced tomatoes
1 can of tomato paste
5-6 coarsely chopped garlic cloves
a couple pinches of sea salt
cracked black pepper to taste.
Cover meatballs with tomato sauce and cook all day on low.  These were even better the next day for lunch!!
Doesn't get any easier!!  Give it a try and let me know what you think?

2 comments:

  1. Forgot to mention to use a food processor to cut up the veggies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! I also forgot to mention that I chopped up 1 cup of raw spinach.

      Delete